Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Lemon Curd; the cooking part

I told you earlier that I would be making some Lemon Curd, which I did, yesterday. I think that it's turned out good for a first time try, although if I were to make it again, I would add some more sugar (... or less lemon juice ... it's just trial-and-error!). Other than that, it is quite similar to the one we bought. Here's the recipe that I followed, and I've written it out if ya wanna copy+paste+print it!

Lemon Curd:

You will need:
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons) + 1 tbsp of lemon zest (I added more 'cos I love lemon zest)/
3 eggs, lightly beaten (yup the white and the yolk)/
1 cup of sugar/
1/4 cup butter/

The preparation:
- Melt the butter over a double boiler.
- After the butter is melted, add all the sugar and mix properly with a whisk. Let the sugar granules dissolve.
- Add the eggs and mix it. 
- Add the lemon juice, followed by the lemon zest.
- Mix everything, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and pour it through a strainer to make sure you don't get bits of curdled egg in your lemon curd!
- Keep it aside and let it cool. It will thicken as it cools.
- Spread it on bread or scones, use it as a pie-filling, or if you're like me, take a spoon and start nibbling! ;)

Notes:
- With the zest, you don't want the white part. It's bitter.
- I didn't want to lose any of the lemon zest, so I didn't strain the curd. Puny bits of (scrambled) egg wasn't that much of a problem as there were only a couple, which could be easily taken out by a spoon.
- I was just telling mum that this would be a good gift for Secret Santa's!

Ahhh, this recipe by Gordon Ramsay looks especially scrumptious! So tantalising!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont eat eggs,
any modification i can make?

Gandhali said...

i'll try to find out!